Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Home Improvement

Two weeks ago today, I arrived in Daejeon with 59 other EPIK teachers all wide-eyed and weary, and ready to finally be home (away from home). On that day, we were all to be greeted and taken to our respective apartments by a Korean "co-teacher" who would assist each of us in obtaining any essentials and provisions necessary for the 3-day long, holiday-weekend. My anticipation of a long-awaited corporal collapse and claiming of some time and space as my own was at an all time high. However, lo(w) and behold, "before I can lay me down to sleep, I must pay the landlord for my keep". This is NOT what my contract states and I try my best to explain that I do not have that kind of money on me (400,000 KRW = 365.00 USD), but yet I still need a place to crash for the night...not to mention the year I am contracted to be here. Not until I turned the empty, white lining of my pants pockets inside out did the message get through and I was given a reprieve for the the weekend. Only then were my 2 large suitcases full of clothes, one small roller bag full of books, my 27lb. backpack and I all taken to my apartment, or rather, my room. The landlord (who has turned out to be a sweetheart who speaks NOT a word of English) and the Korean co-teacher (who has turned out to be a sour puss who feigns "no English") proudly show me my new digs. As soon as we enter, I have seen the whole place. It is void of any furnishings but a twin bed, and yet they are expecting to take me shopping for what I may need to make the place a home? Again, this is NOT what my contract states, nor anywhere near what I was expecting, but I am tired and have no way to deal with any of it until Tuesday when school starts. So off to E-mart, the local discount store, we go -- where I buy only the absolute necessities: a blanket to sleep under, a sauce pan in which to heat my tea water, a bag of apples for meals, and a big bottle of wine just to get me through tonight!! And for the next two weeks, the school and I star in our own crazy, comedic episode of "Home Improvement".

During the first week, I signed the contract on the place, paid my first month's rent and fees, scrubbed the place from top to bottom and tried desperately to describe the diminutive size of the room to the ordering department. J
ust to give you an example -- when they gave me options regarding what size of refrigerator I could select (dorm size, apartment size, full size or commercial size), I chose "pocket size"! During the second week, I was running back and forth from school to home as it seemed items were being delivered and installed almost every day. First came the desk and chair, then the refrigerator and washing machine, then a 'soft' closet and gigantic television and finally internet service. Now, exactly 2 weeks later, I can confidently report that my room contains all the contractual furnishings PLUS some assorted bookshelves, a toaster, and a Korean-style dining table. Perhaps the following snapshots will give you the idea that "I've come a long way, baby"! Stay tuned for the next blog entry, complete with before and after videos of "Kristina living the Korean way" in Apt.#201, Eden Villa, Nae-dong, Daejeon, South Korea!



1 comment:

  1. I found that some candles and a fridge whose contents are mainly liquid (ahem) was a good start...

    ReplyDelete