Thursday, February 25, 2010

Extolling EPIK

It's another night before another departure for me. Only this time, it's just a 2-hour bus ride down to Daejeon where I will be living and working for the next year. This past week of preparations has been absolutely phenomenal in every respect. The EPIK program has extended the tradition of Korean courtesy beyond any and all expectations! Every lecture, every meal, every activity and every detail has been carefully considered, graciously bestowed and expertly executed. I am honored and so very fortunate to have been selected to participate in this program. I commend them, and will recommend them to anyone interested in teaching English in Korea!


As for me, I received my official assignment this past Tuesday, and am thrilled with the news that I will be teaching at Daejeon Foreign Language High School with additional responsibilities in the Metropolitan Teacher Training Program. The high school is touted as the most prestigious of all schools in Daejeon and has stringent requirements for admission since it specializes in the study of foreign languages (note: in Korea, high school is neither compulsory nor free). The teacher-training opportunity was presented to me by the director of the Metropolitan Office of Education when he met with me individually to tell me that "they have bigger plans for me", and that "they hoped I would be interested in a career in Korea"!


So, tomorrow afternoon, I shall load my luggage, board a bus and ride into my future. I will write again when I come down :>).

No comments:

Post a Comment